I started a thread about the MCO (technical details, progression, schematics etc..) on Electro-Music.
- A PCB and the SMD components to be mounted
- Solder paste (I used this one from Sparkfun)
- A stencil (optional, see below)
- A putty knife (if you go with the stenciling technique)
- A frying pan or skillet
- A hob (no induction, that might fry your components)
For those of you who don’t follow me on twitter (the link is in the sidebar), here are the updates of the blog since the last post in May:
- The Mobius Modular’s Motherboard has been reworked and produced with SeeedStudio’s PCB service (which I recommend to anyone wanting to make industrial-like prototypes in low batches, it can cost as less as 1$ the board for 10 boards, definitely something to check out). Also, it costed half the price I paid for the first version of the motherboard (though it was bigger) and I got 12 units against one, for the price of ten! And did I mention it took only half the time to manufacture it (2 weeks instead of a month).. Now I just hope the few bucks I invested in the 100% electrical testing are worth it..
- The pictures of the Motherboard are available on Flickr.
- I just received a package from SparkFun containing some tools to get to the hard work of assembling the SMD components on the Motherboard. I’ll write a review after a quick test to bring the (mad) DIY spirit back to the blog (have you ever tried to reflow-solder a PCB in a frying pan?)
A while ago, I was contacted by these guys that wanted to share some links between the blog and their website. At the time I added their link on the sidebar, and today they sent me this link:
I published the release 3.1 of the Arduino MIDI Library, that adds the callback feature.
I was recently contacted by Paul from the Teensy project to port the Arduino MIDI Library to his board, to be able to send and receive MIDI messages over the USB port and make it so that the board would be recognised as a MIDI controller in any DAW (or software handling MIDI).
As I am refactoring the MIDI library for the Arduino, I’m setting up an Arpeggiator / Sequencer core (no interface designed yet), to test the real-time capabilities of the AVR core I’m using for the Mobius.